Restylane® Fort Worth
For smoothing wrinkles, sculpting lips, and improving other facial features, Restylane® injections are a growing favorite. Approved by the FDA in December 2003, Restylane® can produce positive results on facial wrinkles, particularly around the mouth and nose. Another benefit is the long-lasting results, as the effects of Restylane® treatments can last six months or more.
The Restylane® Procedure
Restylane®™ injections are administered in the doctor’s office, typically for patients aged 35 to 60. It is most often performed with local anesthesia, especially if the lip is being treated. Since Restylane® contains no lidocaine like collagen, patients may experience some pain and discomfort from the needle during injection. Depending upon the extent of the treatment, the procedure can take from a few minutes up to 30 minutes. Patients return home shortly after the procedure.
- Step One: The doctor may first select one or more injection points for each location to be treated. Antiseptic is also applied.
- Step Two: The doctor will then identify the correct amount of Restylane® to be used.
- Step Three: The Restylane® filler is then injected beneath the skin. Hyaluronic acid in the filler adheres to the skin as the water contained in the acid helps to retain volume under the skin’s surface. The acid acts as a magnet for water, which helps to preserve the renewed volume of the skin.
Recovery after Restylane® Treatment
Swelling may be pronounced, lasting for two or three days. Normal activities can be resumed immediately, though patients are advised to stay out of the sun. Unmanageable pain, as well as symptoms that are progressive or abnormal, should be reported to the doctor immediately.
Restylane treatments reduce wrinkles by about 80 percent. Restylane is a temporary solution and follow-up treatments may be needed
Complications and Risks of Restylane®
The most common side effects of Restylane® include headache, nausea, flu-like symptoms, redness, and pain at the injection points. Infrequently, patients experience muscle weakness, which resolves itself within days, or in some cases, months after the procedure.
Your doctor should help you understand the possible complications and remedies during your initial consultation.
Am I a Good Candidate for Restylane®?
There are several important factors you must consider in determining whether or not any cosmetic treatment, such as Restylane, is an appropriate procedure for you. During the consultation visit with your cosmetic surgeon, it is recommended that you ask the surgeon if you feel you are a good candidate for Restylane treatments. In determining one’s readiness for Restylane, you should:
- Possess realistic expectations as to what Restylane treatments can and cannot do
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be mature enough to fully understand the procedure
- Be in relatively good physical and psychological health